Pickering Standard Church saw its beginnings in the early 1980s as Rev. Wilbert Bertrim followed the leading of God and came to the Toronto area to begin a new church plant as a part of the Standard Church of America. The work began as a series of in home Bible studies. In 1984, these small groups came together to form a congregation, marking the birth of the Pickering Standard Church.
For a few years the church met in a community hall in the village of Green River in north Pickering.
Then in 1989 the opportunity arose for the congregation to move into the present church building at the corner of Mowbray St (formerly Brock Road) and Highway 7 in the village of Brougham.
The beautiful brick building, which was constructed in 1890 and had served as a Presbyterian and then a United church, continues to serve as the home of the Pickering Standard Church.
Over the years the Pickering Standard Church has been served by three pastors, Rev. Wilbert Bertrim, Rev. Brian Bertrim, and the current pastor Rev. Chris Burtch.
In 2004, the Standard Church of America merged with The Wesleyan Church.
The Wesleyan denomination, like the Standard Church, is both Methodist and Evangelical. We are Methodist in that we trace our roots to John Wesley, whose ministry in the mid 1700s resulted in a worldwide movement called Methodism. We are evangelical in that we see the story of Jesus' birth, life, death and resurrection as good news. Our desire is to follow Jesus Christ and to share his teaching with others.